West Virginia State Records
What are Inmate Records?
Inmate records allow interested persons to see and obtain information about persons who are incarcerated in any correctional facility within the state. The information provided may include the name, date of birth, physical description, charges, sentencing information maximum release date, case number, status of the inmate, whether or not on probation,statute under which the offender was convicted, and any such other information that may be of interest to persons looking into the records of an inmate.
West Virginia’s Prison Structure
The West Virginia Division of Corrections and Rehabilitation (WVDOCR) is the agency responsible for the security and supervision of offenders remanded in jails and prisons all over the state. Prisons and Jails under the supervision of WVDOCR include:
- Salem Correctional Center and Jail
- South Central Regional Jail and Correctional Facility
- McDowell County Corrections/Stevens Correctional Center
- Huttonsville Correctional Center and Jail/Huttonsville Work Camp
- Lakin Correctional Center and Jail
- Northern Correctional Facility
- Southern Regional Jail and Correctional Facility
- Southwestern Regional Jail and Correctional Facility
- Tygart Valley Regional Jail and Correctional Facility
- Mount Olive Correctional Complex and Jail/Slayton Work Camp
- North Central Regional Jail and Correctional Facility
- Central Regional Jail and Correctional Facility
- Denmar Correctional Center and Jail
- Pruntytown Correctional Center and Jail
- Saint Marys Correctional Center and Jail
- Western Regional Jail and Correctional Facility
- Northern Regional Jail
- Ohio County Correctional Center and Jail
- Potomac Highlands Regional Jail and Correctional Facility
- Eastern Regional Jail and Correctional Facility
- Martinsburg Correctional Center and Jail
How to Visit an Inmate
Interested parties are advised to get familiar with the West Virginia Correctional Facilities policies, rules and regulations before visiting an inmate in any of the facilities. Although inmates are allowed to have visitors, certain restrictions apply such as the relationship between the visitor and the inmate and the criminal status of the potential visitor. A person with a pending criminal charge, unless proven to be directly related to the inmate, may not be allowed a visit. Visitation is usually reserved for persons who are directly related or have a substantial relationship with the inmate.
The inmate is required to mail an application form through the facility, to the potential visitor and those persons must fill the forms completely, correctly and truthfully, attach two means of identification (one of which must be a photo Id) such as a driver’s license, U.SPassport, military id, etc and then mail back to the return address provided on the form. The approval period may be up to five weeks. The facility would usually conduct checks to verify the information provided on the application form.
All visitors below 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or their legal guardian. A person accompanying a minor must also be approved along with the minor on the facility’s inmate visitation list. It is advisable to take proper documentation such as the birth certificate of the minor along to show they are below 18. All facilities enforce a strict visitation dress code and may not allow personal items except for necessary items for the care of an accompanying infant.
Each regional facility has a schedule for non-contact visits for inmates residents in facilities in counties under their administration.
South Central Regional Jail and Correctional Facility serves the counties of Kanawha and Jackson and located at:
1001 Centre Way,
Charleston 25309 (Kanawha County)
Tel: (304) 558-1336
To schedule a non-contact visitation, an interested person may call Call (304) 558-1339 on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursday, and Fridays to schedule a visit for Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays respectively. Call time starts Starting at 8:00 a.m., and taken on a first call first serve basis until time slots for each visiting day are filled.
The prospective visitor or caller will be required to provide important information such as their name, address, date of birth and telephone number and id such as driver’s license number during the scheduling call.
The Southern Regional Jail and Correctional Facility caters for Fayette, Mercer, Greenbrier, Wyoming, Monroe, Summers, and Raleigh Counties and is located at:
1200 Airport Road, Beaver
WV 25813 (Raleigh County)
Tel: (304) 256-6726
Prospective visitors for a non- contact visitation are required to call (304) 256-6738 between 8:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday to schedule a visit for Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday respectively. If a holiday falls on a scheduled day, the caller is required to call on a business day prior to the scheduled day.
The Tygart Valley Regional Jail and Correctional Facility serves Upshur, Barbour, Pocahontas, Randolph. Preston, Taylor, and Tucker Counties. Located at
400 Abbey Road, Belington
WV 26250 (Randolph County)
Tel: (304) 637- 0382
The prospective visitor is required to call the visitation line (304) 637-0264 7:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays( for Tuesday appointment), Thursdays and Fridays for Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday appointments respectively.
Central Regional Jail and Correctional Facility caters to Webster, Braxton, Gilmer, Roane, Calhoun, Clay, Lewis, and Nicholas Counties and is located at
1255, Dyer Hill Road, Sutton
WV 26601 (Braxton County)
Tel: (304) 765-7904
Prospective visitors are required to call (304) 765-5326 to schedule a non-contact visitation between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. for visitations on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Inmate scheduled visitations are for Saturdays and Sundays.North Central Regional Jail and Correctional Facility serves Wood, Pleasants, Doddridge, Marion, Harrison, Monongalia, Ritchie, Tyler, and Wirt Counties and is located at
2, Lois Lane, Greenwood
WV 26415 (Doddridge County)
Tel: (304) 873-1384
Call (304) 873-2960 to schedule a non-contact visitation on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays (for Tuesday visits) for Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday visits respectively.
For further information on other regional facilities and what counties they cater to, the intending visitor may visit the official website of the WVDOCR or their physical address at
1409, Greenbrier Street, Charleston,
Tel: (304) 558-2036
How to Send Money to an Inmate in a West Virginia Facility
Persons looking to send money to an inmate in a West Virginia corrections facility may do so by
- Telephone. The depositor is required to call 888.988.4768 and use the site ID 179 when prompted.
- Online by visiting www.JailATM.com or www.connectnetwork.com
- Mobile App. ConnectNetwork has a mobile application for Android and IOS devices.
How do I Obtain Inmate Records from State Correctional Facilities?
To find an incarcerated person in West Virginia, interested parties may visit the offender search section of the WVDOCR website and click on any of the options provided on the left-hand side of the page. It allows requesters to find records based on the type of facility they believe the offender is being remanded, whether in a jail or a prison. An interested person may also use the daily incarceration search option to find information about persons admitted on that day at correctional facilities in different counties in West Virginia.
- Daily Incarcerations By clicking this link, an interested person can scroll through a list of inmates admitted in each county’s regional jail and correctional facilities at the date of search. The information provided includes the name of the offender, date of birth, charges, case number, case status and the date of admission.
- By clicking on the Offender Search (Prisons) link on the WVDOCR website, an interested person will be able to find information about an inmate if they can either provide the offender identification NUmber (OID) or the person’s first and last name.
- Search on inmates in jails in West Virginia may be conducted on the West Virginia Regional Jail and Correctional Facility Authority(RJA) website or by clicking on Offender Search (Jails) link on the WVDOC website. The name and last name of the inmate of interest must be filled in the appropriate boxes to help streamline the information received as search feedback.
- The Escapees and Absconders link allows an interested person to view information such as offender id number, first, last and middle name and in some cases, pictures of persons who were previously custody of the correction facilities but have escaped or have absconded.
Full Criminal Case Details:
- Domestic Violence
- Parole Violation
- Probation Violation
- Sexual Assault
West Virginia Penitentiary
- There were over 1,240,000 reported violent crimes in the United States in 2017.
- Between 2006 and 2010, approximately 3.4 million violent crimes went unreported.
- Around 73 million (29.5%) of Americans have criminal records, many of which are eligible for sealing or expungement.
- There were nearly 7.7 million property crimes in the United States in 2017. This represents a 3.6% decrease from the previous year.
- Some newspapers have reported the cost of a public record can cost between $5 and $399,000.
- In 2017, there were 1,920 presidential pardon requests. Of those, 142 were granted.